One Shot Deal
|Track 1, Fall 1974
Track 3 & 9, 17-18 September 1975 LA
|Track 4, 11 November 1972 Washington D.C.
|Track 5, 21 March 1979 Eppelheim||Track 6, 24 February 1978 Eppelheim|
|Track 7, Halloween 1981 NY||Track 8, 24-26 June 1973 Sydney|
- Bathtub Man (5:43)
- Space Boogers (1:24)
- Hermitage (2:00)
- Trudgin' Across The Tundra (4:01)
- Occam's Razor (9:11) - out-take from On The Bus
- Heidelberg *1987 (4:46)
- The Illinois Enema Bandit (9:27)
- Australian Yellow Snow (12:26)
- Rollo (2:57)
- All Titles Produced by Frank Zappa
- OSD Produced by Gail Zappa & Joe Travers
- Vaultmeisterment by Joe Travers
- Mastered by Bernie Grundman
- Cover Art by John Williams
- Package Concept & Text by Gail Zappa
- Design & Layout by Michael "It kinda looks like Jupiter" Mesker
- Production Manager - Melanie Starks
"Ok. This is where all the zany miscellany can be found - on the inside of the package - in the liner notes. Not like what you would line the bottom of your birdcage with - but really, like the notes you might keep for some fabulous trip across an ocean on a major seagoing vessel. For me, it's usually a little bit reminiscence and mostly documentary steerage about what, how and sometimes why we got here from out there.
You will note the bandwidth on this recording is wide and the era septidecant. Since this is literally a quickie - a sort of us daring ourselves to get this together on the fly without the wall - it turns out that Joe had already set aside 2 sections of FZ 'build reel' material so we decided one would open and the other would close what just might be a one shot deal. Now we just had to fill in the blanks. The guitar was the main element for me and the instant I heard Occam's Razor I knew that this was where we had to go. Meanwhile, concurrently trapped in Spring Cleaning mode, I happened upon a drawer that surely had not been opened for maybe 20 years. And right there it was - the cover shot! A One Shot Deal if ever there was a roadmap in Serendipity. Amusing that FZ had always maintained that he was in the business of connecting the dots and here they were...
Now appearing for the first time on CD these recordings is a sandwich - the Bun being 2 FZ Constructs. The Crux of the Biscuit here really is the confinement loaf, comprised of Tracks 1 - 4, and Tracks 8 & 9 - all put together (sequenced/edited) by FZ and just as we found them in the Vault. For me the Burger is Occam's Razor. But all of these tracks were Produced - Recorded/Composed/Arranged/Conducted/Constructed/Mixed by FZ and set aside by him for some project about which we can only speculate. Still, you can say Darker and Darker and we can say yes, we have fries with that. And the special sauce."
- Occam's Razor is the original unedited solo that was used in the piece entitled ‘On The Bus’ on Joe's Garage Act 1. The solo was isolated and superimposed over the wet t shirt version on Joe’s Garage in a process that Frank invented known as 'Xenochrony'. On One Shot Deal we hear the original unedited guitar solo.
- "Occam's razor" is a "theoretical principle" attributed to Franciscan friar William of Ockham, often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the "principle" recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.
- Given the above principle, one should also consider the Razor, an object used in tape-editing - either physically or digitally - to achieve a recorded solution. "He was an absolute master of two-track splicing, a wizard with a razor blade, before he got his Synclavier." (Patrick O'Hearn, The Zappa Legacy).
|ZFT #||Version #||# discs||Format||Catalog #||Release
|2008-06-13||0824302000724||US edition. Matrix #|
IFPI 4121 ZAPPACOM6 2W01 V IFPI L244 ZAPPA.COM6
- Information sourced from IINK. The liner notes do not mention the dates for tracks 1 & 2.
- 72/11/11 Washington DC US DAR Constitution Hall
- 73/06/24-26 Sydney Australia Hordern Pavilion
- 74/11/08 Passaic NJ US Capitol Theatre
- 75/09/17-18 Los Angeles CA US Royce Hall, UCLA
- 78/02/24 Eppelheim Germany Rhein-Neckar Stadion
- 79/03/21 Eppelheim Germany Rhein-Neckar-Halle
- 81/10/29-11/01 New York NY US Palladium
- Official Announcement at Zappa.com