King Kong (1968 - Fullerton)
For other versions of this song, see: King Kong.
FZ: The name of this song is "King Kong." It is also included in our new album. It occupies all of side four of the two record set and uh, it's actually the story of a large gorilla. You all know the story I'm sure. The gorilla is on an island, eats bananas, has a good time all day long. Plays out there in the bushes and uh, some Americans find out about the gorilla and they hear how big he is, you know. They're very impressed with the size of the beast. So they make it to the island, you know, they check out the gorilla. And they get a thing and they catch him, you know. They catch the gorilla, and they stick him in a boat and they bring him back to the United States. And they show him off to everybody. And they make a bunch of money on the gorilla, and then they kill him.
Players On This Song
- Frank Zappa - lead guitar
- Lowell George - guitar
- Roy Estrada - bass
- Don Preston - keyboards, electronics
- Buzz Gardner - trumpet
- Ian Underwood - alto sax
- Bunk Gardner - tenor sax
- Motorhead Sherwood - baritone sax
- Jimmy Carl Black - drums
- Arthur Dyer Tripp III - drums
Records On Which This Song Has Appeared
FZ Albums & Side Projects
Tribute & Cover Albums
- Jean-Luc Ponty: King Kong
- Various Artists: Sonora
- The Muffin Men: God Shave The Queen as track 2 I Want You Kong and track 7 Kashmir Kong, starting with Kashmir
- Zappatistas: Live In Leeds
- The Wrong Object: Play Zappa as King Kong (George W. Bush version)
- Colin Towns + NDR Bigband: Frank Zappa's Hot Licks (And Funny Smells)
- Meridian Arts Ensemble: Ear Mind I
- Le Bocal: Oh No ! ... Just Another Frank Zappa Memorial Barbecue
- Nasal Retentive Orchestra: Fric Out!
Notes About This Song
- Recorded live in Fullerton, California on 8 November 1968.
- This version of "King Kong" follows a head-solo structure:
- Theme A (played twice)