The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
- Frank Zappa (lead guitar, computer-synth, vocal)
- Paul Carman (alto sax, soprano sax, baritone sax)
- Bruce Fowler (trombone)
- Walt Fowler (trumpet, flugel horn, synth)
- Mike Keneally (rhythm guitar, synth, vocal)
- Kurt McGettrick (baritone sax, bass sax, contrabass clarinet)
- Ed Mann (vibes, marimba, electronic percussion)
- Bobby Martin (keyboards, vocal)
- Scott Thunes (electric bass, mini-moog)
- Chad Wackerman (drums, electronic percussion)
- Ike Willis (rhythm guitar, synth, vocal)
- Albert Wing (tenor sax)
- Heavy Duty Judy (6:04)
- Ring Of Fire (2:01)
- Cosmik Debris (4:33)
- Find Her Finer (2:43)
- Who Needs The Peace Corps? (2:40)
- I Left My Heart In San Francisco (0:37)
- Zomby Woof (5:42)
- Boléro (5:19)
- Zoot Allures (7:07)
- Mr. Green Genes (3:41)
- Florentine Pogen (7:11)
- Andy (5:52)
- Inca Roads (8:19)
- Sofa # 1 (2:50)
- Purple Haze (2:27)
- Sunshine Of Your Love (2:31)
- Let's Move To Cleveland (5:52)
- When Irish Eyes Are Smiling (0:46)
- "Godfather Part II" Theme (0:30)
- A Few Moments With Brother A. West (4:01)
- The Torture Never Stops, Part 1 (5:20)
- Theme From "Bonanza" (0:29)
- Lonesome Cowboy Burt (Swaggart Version) (4:55)
- The Torture Never Stops, Part 2 (10:47)
- More Trouble Every Day (Swaggart Version) (5:29)
- Penguin In Bondage (Swaggart Version) (5:05)
- Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue (9:19)
- Stairway To Heaven (9:21)
"THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE
The 1988 road band self-destructed before U.S. audiences in the south, Midwest and West could hear it perform. It was, however, heard and appreciated by East Coast and European audiences during its brief existence (four months of rehearsal in 1987/1988, followed by a tour, February through June, 1988), and it is from those performances that this compilation has been made.
The collection features big-band arrangements of concert favorites and obscure album cuts, along with deranged versions of cover tunes and a few premiere recordings.
In a world where most of the "big groups" go on stage and pretend to sing and play, we proudly present this quaint audio artifact. Yes, once upon a time, live musicians actually sang and played this. All material contained herein is 100% live, and there are no over-dubs of any kind."
1991 Frank Zappa /Photos: Bruce Malone, LGI. /Design: Tracy Veal
1991 BARKING PUMPKIN RECORDS, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION/SAMPLING IS A VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE LAWS AND SUBJECT CRIMINAL PROSECUTION
Boléro had to be removed from European copies as there were complaints from the extant copyright holders.
"Those readers unfamiliar with Laurie Anderson's work might not realize that we're parodying her in the middle section of 'Lonesome'---'Sharkey' is a character in several of her songs. I suggested including the relentless "ha ha ha ha ha ha" vocal part, ripped off from her song 'O Superman', and I came to regret it on some evenings when Frank decided to keep the section going on forever."
Lots of tracks on this album are recorded during his European Tour in 1988. To see Frank Zappa live and playing lots of songs of this album during his performance in Barcelona, watch the Zappa In Barcelona DVD, recorded and filmed during the European tour, May 17, 1988.
|ZFT #||Version #||# discs||Format||Catalog #||Release
|1991-04-16||0013347423326||Stage cover and Revised cover||US edition.|
|1991-04?||0013347423340||Stage cover||US edition.|
|1991-04||5016583603823||Stage cover||UK edition. Matrix # CD1: CDD ZAP 38 CD1 MPO 01 @@ ; CD2: ?|
|2||CD||Stage cover and Revised cover||UK edition. According to the Zappa Patio, some "censored" CDs do not include Boléro.|
|1991-04||5016583603847?||Stage cover||UK edition.|
|1992-09-25||Cal Schenkel cover||Japanese edition, does not include Boléro.|
|1996-04-01||0014431065323||EU and US editions, does not include Boléro due to copyright reasons. Matrix # CD1: IFPI 8741 DISCTRONICS IFPI L501 RCD 10653/54 ONE 02 ; CD2: IFPI 8741 DISCTRONICS IFPI L501 RCD 10653/54 TWO 01|
|2004-02-16||4988112190313||Japanese edition, mini-album papersleeve. Matrix # CD1: IFPI 3911 IFPI L222 VACK-9001-1 2MS1 C 3Y ; CD2: IFPI 3911 IFPI L222 VACK-9001-2 1MS1 C 3Y|
|2012-10-30||0824302388129||Revised cover||US edition, manufactured and distributed by UMe.|
|2012-10-30||0824302388129||EU edition = Zappa/UMe ZR 3881, manufactured in Germany.|
- Martin C. Strong, 2004, The Great Rock Discography, p. 1724.
- Email announcement by the ZFT on July 31st, 2012.