Talk:The Grand Wazoo (The Track)
Please let me know if there's anything wrong with this system! If there's no problem with it, we should include it in the Wiki guidelines.
As for the two Joe's Domage tracks: that's probably as bad as it gets with this system. I guess, you could argue that they don't really deserve pages of their own because they're just rehearsals of "the song". But, IMHO, we can't combine them with any other version because
a) they have different names, and having a link called It Ain't Real So What's The Deal? redirect to The Grand Wazoo is exactly what we want to avoid with this system, and
b) since they are rehearsals of a song, and not the song itself, they should be treated as something different (so including them on The Grand Wazoo (1972 - Paramount) for example, would be kind of an over-simplification since they could theoretically even have their own lyrics - although I really didn't want to go through the trouble of transcribing the dialogues during the rehearsals ;])
--Fishbrain 15:21, 18 December 2007 (PST)
Is there any way for us to decide if the name of a song is by Zappa himself? Or just by Travers or Gail? It surely is ok to link from Systems Of Edges to Inca Roads for example because they have different names by Zappa. Redirecting is not ok, linking to respective others helps understanding Zappa's work.
Propellerkuh 07:51, 20 December 2007 (PST)
I'm not exactly sure if I understand what you mean there... Do you suggest that as long as the song title is by FZ (e.g. System Of Edges) it is okay for a link to that song to actually link to its "mother song" (e.g. Inca Roads) instead of a separate page for the song itself? (e.g. having a link that looks like this: [ [ Inca Roads | System Of Edges ] ] ) If so, I don't agree with you.
Or do you mean that we should simply treat System Of Edges as a version of Inca Roads, give it its own page, and put a link on it to the Inca Roads index page? If so, then I agree with you. But in that case I don't quite understand what you mean by "decide if the name of a song is by Zappa himself".
--Fishbrain 08:24, 20 December 2007 (PST)
In terms of what "needs" a separate page and what doesn't: I've just gone through all the other tracks from The Grand Wazoo album and applied the new system for them. As it turns out, the title track (this one) is the only one that really needs an index page IMHO:
- For Calvin (And His Next Two Hitch-Hikers): has only appeared on one album
- The Grand Wazoo (The Track): has appeared on several albums which have been categorised into four different versions on the index page
- Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus: has only appeared on one album
- Eat That Question: has appeared on two albums, but since the only difference is in the orchestration (and the fact that the Make A Jazz Noise Here version doesn't have a solo part), I felt there was no need for an index page; instead I included the orchestration for both recordings on the page and added a note that the second recording consists only of "intro + main theme".
- Blessed Relief: has appeared on two albums with one being a rehearsal on Joe's Domage; one might argue that this deserves an index page, but as it wasn't strictly necessary I felt there was no need to make it more complicated than it really is.
Any comments? As I said: this is only to show what I personally perceive as "necessary".
--Fishbrain 05:58, 22 December 2007 (PST)
Version - for future ref
Bobby Sanabria - Big Band Urban Folktales - Jazzhead records 2007
Duncan 03:39, 29 November 2008 (PST)