From Zappa Wiki Jawaka
Appearances of vacuum cleaners in Zappa's work
- Captain Beefheart (the vocalist on Willie The Pimp) holds a vacuum cleaner on a photograph inside the Hot Rats cover. In tune with the song's content it provides phallic or sexual suggestions. Beefheart himself used to be a vacuum cleaner salesman.
- Inside the cover of Chunga's Revenge is a painting by Cal Schenkel featuring the Gypsy Mutant Vacuum Cleaner
- In 200 Motels (The Film) Dick Barber plays the Gypsy Mutant Vacuum Cleaner
- On the backside cover of One Size Fits All the Gypsy Mutant Vacuum Cleaner appears as a star sign
- Joe's Garage Acts I, II & III: the character Sy Borg is described as "a cross between an industrial vacuum cleaner and a chrome piggy bank with marital aids stuck all over its body" in A Token Of My Extreme.
- L. Ron Hoover's name references the famous vacuum cleaner brand "Hoover".
- In the infamous Zappa documentary that Roelof Kiers filmed in 1971 (Frank Zappa (1971 Documentary)) Zappa uses a vacuum cleaner on Lucy Offerall's breasts.
- From the article Zubin And The Mothers: Zappa then gave a brief preamble to 200 Motels (...) The whole mother is two and one half hours long, but one sequence, which required, among other things, a soprano soloist, three dancers, a chorus, a narrator, an industrial vacuum cleaner, a noisy 16mm projector and a dental-health film, was deleted, cutting this performance to about an hour.)