The Pop Chronicles was a radio documentary on the history of popular music. It focused on music popular in America in the 1950s and 1960s. It was written, hosted, and narrated by John Gilliland (1935-1998). It first aired in 1969.
Gilliland interviewed Frank Zappa for the documentary on 3.5.1969 in Glendale, California. This was after the series had begun airing and appears to be 4 days before parts of this interview first aired. Zappa rerecorded his interview because of technical difficulties with the original recording.
- John Gilliland's Pop Chronicles
- KRLA POP CHRONICLES Program, 1969 (1 of 2)
- 'Pop Chronicles' Chronicle Pop
- The Pop Chronicles Of The 50s And 60s
- T-Z interview index
- Gilliland, John (1997). "On Chronicling Pop". In Barrett, Don. Los Angeles radio people: Volume 2, 1957-1997. Valencia, CA: Db Marketing. ISBN 978-0-9658907-0-0. (The pages in this book are not numbered, but Gilliland's essay is located between the E and F entries.)
- Index to "Pop Chronicles"