The Pop Chronicles was a radio documentary on the history of popular music. It focused on music popular in America in the 1950s and 1960s. It was written, hosted, and narrated by John Gilliland. It first aired in 1969.
Gilliland interviewed Frank Zappa for the documentary on 3.5.1969 in Glendale, California. This was after the series had begun airing and appears to be 4 days before parts of this interview first aired. Zappa rerecorded his interview because of technical difficulties with the original recording.
- John Gilliland's Pop Chronicles
- KRLA POP CHRONICLES Program, 1969 (1 of 2)
- 'Pop Chronicles' Chronicle Pop
- T-Z interview index
- Gilliland, John (1997). "On Chronicling Pop". In Barrett, Don. Los Angeles radio people: Volume 2, 1957-1997. Valencia, CA: Db Marketing. ISBN 978-0-9658907-0-0. (The pages in this book are not numbered, but Gilliland's essay is located between the E and F entries.)
- Index to "Pop Chronicles"