In 1989 Frank Zappa appeared on the American radio show Castaway's Choice, hosted by John McNally. The format is based on the long-running BBC radio show Desert Island Discs, where guests can pick out their ten favorite records to bring along to a deserted island.
Zappa's 10 favorite records to bring to a deserted island
- Octandre by Edgard Varèse.
- The Royal March From ''L'Histoire Du Soldat by Igor Stravinsky.
- The Rite Of Spring by Igor Stravinsky.
- The first movement from Third Piano Concerto, by Béla Bartók.
- Stolen Moments by Oliver Nelson.
- Three Hours Past Midnight by Johnny "Guitar" Watson.
- Can I Come Over Tonight? by The Velours.
- Bagatelles for String Quartet by Anton Webern.
- Symphony, Opus 21 by Anton Webern.
- Piano Concerto in G by Maurice Ravel.
Zappa described the Bartok piece as: "I think it is one of the most beautiful melodies ever written". When asked to limit his choice to just one of these records he selected Three Hours Past Midnight.