Ray White: "I'd never heard of Zappa in 1976, but one day a guy asked me over to his house in the San Francisco projects and listen to this record. He put on 'Montana' and I thought, the guy who wrote this has to be the craziest white boy on the face of the planet. A week later, purely by coincidence, I was invited to audition with Frank. I walked in wearing my clogs, white beach pants, dashiki, and an afro about the size of Manhattan. He thought I was a Black Panther. I think I got the gig because I didn't know who he was."
Ray White provided guitar and/or vocals for:
- Zappa In New York
- Tinseltown Rebellion
- Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar set
- You Are What You Is
- Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch
- The Man From Utopia
- Them Or Us
- Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention
- Does Humor Belong In Music?
- Jazz From Hell
- Frank Zappa: Guitar
- You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1
- You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 3
- You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 4
- You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 5
- You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 6
- The Lost Episodes
- The Dub Room Special
- Beat The Boots series disks
- Zappa bootleg An Evening In Detroit
Ray can be seen in the following Zappa Movies:
In summer 2007 Ray White joined Dweezil Zappa as a special guest for the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour. He wrote the liner notes in the sleeve of the album Zappa In New York 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition in 2018.