From Zappa Wiki Jawaka
QuAUDIOPHILIAc? - emdebe
This now redirects...
KillUglyRadio 23:14, 30 Mar 2005 (PST)
No subwoofer track?
Many people reported they could hear no sound coming from the subwoofer, and several argued this could be a 5.0 or a 4.0 mix.
However I had serious doubts it could be "the original 4-channel Quadraphonic mix" because I did get music on the center channel anyway.
So I looked for explanations and found an interesting article.
I understand from it there is actually no "subwoofer track" in DTS:
- DTS use a Low Frequency Effects "0.1" channel
- The subwoofer renders a calculated mix of the LFE channel and deep bass sounds from the 5 other channels
- LFE and bass in the cutoff range (set to 35-50Hz on my system) are not always needed in music
- DTS is still called a 5.1 format even when the subwoofer is not activated
This may partly explain the mismatch between the original tape box photograph in the liner notes and on the disc itself?
- The tape box 1970 writings seem to be anachronisms: "Left, Front/Center, Right & Rear" are only used by 80's Dolby Matrixed systems
- The disc mentions: "Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left & Rear Right" like were Quadraphonic systems
My guess is that the whole album has been remixed to 5.1 DTS.
Maroual 10:40, 7 Jul 2006 (PDT)
I believe I have the right to listen to my own purchases wherever I want. I was able to rip the audio from Halloween and burn to CD (although the tracks don't follow smoothly). So far, I've completely failed to rip the audio in burnable form from this DVD...
I think you should try this link.
Maroual 14:00, 11 May 2009 (PDT)