For other versions of this song, see: Call Any Vegetable.
FZ: A lot of people don't bother about their friends in the VEGETABLE KINGDOM. They think, "Ah, what can I say? What can a person like myself say to a vegetable?" But the answer is simple, my friends: Just call ... and tell them how you feel ... about muffins, pumpkins, wax paper, caledonia, mahoganies, elbows and green things in general ... and soon: a new rapport! You and your new little green & yellow buddies... grooving together! OH NO! Maintaining your coolness together! Worshipping together in the church of your choice! Only in America! Woh-oh-oh-ah-agh-h ...
Call any vegetable
Call it by name
You gotta call one today
When you get off the train
Call any vegetable
And the chances are good
AR-R-H-R that the vegetable will respond to you!
FZ: Oh no! Can you see them responding? The pumpkin is breathing hard: huffa-puffa-huffa-puffa-huffa-puffa ...What a pumpkin!
Players On This Song
- Frank Zappa - guitar, vocals
- Ray Collins - vocals, tambourine
- Jim Fielder - guitar, piano
- Don Preston - keyboards
- Bunk Gardner - woodwinds
- Roy Estrada - bass, vocals
- Jimmy Carl Black - drums, vocals
- Billy Mundi - drums, percussion
Records On Which This Song Has Appeared
Zappa Albums & Side Projects
Tribute & Cover Albums
Notes About This Song
- Recorded at TTG, Los Angeles in November 1966.
- This version of the song is a suite with three parts: "Call Any Vegetable", "Invocation & Ritual Dance Of The Young Pumpkin" and "Soft-Sell Conclusion". On Mothermania, the whole suite is combined to one single track under the title "Call Any Vegetable".
- This song was originally called "If You Like Chickens".
- It includes quotes from "God Bless America" (Irving Berlin), "America The Beautiful" (Ward/Bates), "Marine's Hymn" (trad.) and "A Soldier's Tale" (Stravinsky - the theme appears at 1:25, right after "the pumpkin is breathing hard".)
CC Clues In This Song
- References pumpkins.
- Mentions muffins