From Zappa Wiki Jawaka
Zappa plays a lot with the German language in his songs. Songs which feature German lyrics or make references to German include:
- "Absolutely Free" on We're Only In It For The Money mentions "Donner & Blitzen" (thunder & lightning).
- "Sofa No. 2" on One Size Fits All
- "Stick It Out" on Joe's Garage Acts II & III (again with references to Sofas)
- "Once Upon A Time" on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1 (from the lost Sofa Suite)
- "German Lunch" on You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 5
- "Divan" on Playground Psychotics (also from the lost Sofa Suite)
- "Welcome To The United States" on The Yellow Shark
- "This Ain't CNN", "This Is All Wrong", "You're Just Insultin' Me Aren't You!" and "Cold Light Generation" on "Civilization Phaze III"
- "Library Card" on Everything Is Healing Nicely
- "Ya Hozna" on Them Or Us and Son Of Cheep Thrills (lyrics are played backwards)
Zappa has also worked with a number of German and Austrian musicians, including Peter Wolf (from Vienna, Austria), and the major part of the Ensemble Modern (itself based in Frankfurt, Germany). FZ has also worked with actor Theodore Bikel (also from Vienna, Austria) for the film 200 Motels.